This is one of our favorites (oh, Cooking Light, we love you!). I roasted the tomatoes on a Sunday and then put them in a container to use later in the week. Once that step is out of the way, this dish takes about 20 minutes.
- 3 pounds Roma (or plum) tomatoes, cored and quartered
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ¼ teaspoons sea salt, divided
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 6 whole peeled garlic cloves
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 12 oz uncooked fettuccine
- ¾ cup (3 oz) shaved fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 3 tbsp. fresh torn basil
1. Preheat oven to 225.
2. Place tomatoes on a baking pan. Drizzle oil over tomatoes. Sprinkle with ¾ tsp. salt and black pepper. Bake 4 hours.
3. Heat a large skillet over low heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and garlic; cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove garlic and chop. Combine garlic, tomatoes, and red pepper in pan.
4. Cook pasta in boiling water with 1 ½ teaspoons salt for 8 minutes or until al dente. Drain pasta, reserving ¾ cup cooking liquid. Increase heat to medium-high under tomato mixture, and stir in reserved liquid. Bring to a boil. Cook 3 minutes. Add pasta; cook for 1 minute, tossing to combine. Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheese and basil.